It is the policy of Genesis Programs, Inc. to ensure the best possible practicum experience offered to or professionals working on their certification or degree in Substance Use disorder. Genesis Programs, recognizes interns play a vital role in the day-to-day operations, the delivery of services to persons served, and in workforce development. Genesis Programs, Inc. also recognizes the importance of recruiting and retaining qualified personnel for the benefit of the persons served and for continued good business practices.
THE STUDENT VOLUNTEER/INTERN PROGRAM
- Student intern/volunteer inquires shall complete a telephone screening by one of Genesis SUD Lead Counselor’s level III to ensure they meet the qualifications for internship.
- In situations where inquires call or email the assigned intern/volunteer coordinator two (2) attempts shall be made to contact the inquire.
- If the intern/volunteer passes the initial screening process a panel interview shall be scheduled.
- Each interviewer shall complete an “Interviewers Report” form.
- If the overall rate is greater than 53 and one (1) of the Lead SUD counselors is willing to mentor the student, a second interview is scheduled with the CEO/Clinical Director.
- The CEO/Clinical Director shall finalize the intern/volunteer interview process and schedule an appointment for orientation with their supervisor.
Student intern/volunteer program qualifications
- Intern/volunteer must be a U.S. citizen with a valid I.D. card or passport.
- Intern/volunteer shall be required to complete a total of 16 hours per work week which shall be done by attending two (2) eight (8) hour shifts.
- Intern/volunteers shall be willing to participate in the program for a minimum of four (4) months for ADS students and one (1) year for online or Master level programs.
- Students shall not be scheduled over 16 hours of unpaid intern/volunteer work unless it is at their request.
- Intern/volunteer shall be a registered student with their major in either psychology or other related behavioral science and seeking practicum hours or registered with a certifying/licensed agency and seeking field experience hours for their certification/licensing.
- Intern/volunteer who identifies as a person in recovery or a history of substance misuse must report a minimum of one (1) year substance free.
- Previous treatment participants seeking enrollment into Genesis intern/volunteer program shall be in good standing with all financial obligations and a minimum of one (1) year from last scheduled treatment session.
- Intern/volunteer shall provide a current resume including three (3) letters of recommendation or references.
- Student intern/volunteers are subject to a background check and those with a criminal history shall provide documentation and a formal letter describing the nature of their arrest and their rehabilitation process.
- A current negative T.B. test is required before internship can begin.
- Intern/volunteer shall pass an in-house 13 panel urine drug screen.
Student volunteer/intern program shall include:
- Orientation into the intern/volunteer program;
- Training including task found in the 12-core function of a SUD counselor;
- Assessment of performance;
- Group facilitation;
- Policies and procedures of the Genesis Programs standards;
- A temporary Genesis email;
- Temporary access to the Alleva system
Student volunteer/intern orientation shall consist of:
- A signed agreement for internship.
- scope of responsibility,
- and supervision,
- Personnel competencies,
- Background checks,
- Use of computer and cell phone,
- Dress Code,
- Confidentiality requirements,
- Customer service,
- Health and Safety Procedures,
- Ethical codes of conduct,
- Promoting wellness of persons served,
- Person-centered practice,
- Personal privacy,
- Reporting of suspected abuse or neglect,
- Rights of persons served,
- Rights of personnel,
- Unique needs of persons served,
- Grievance and appeal procedures,
- Disciplinary action,
- and Genesis Employee Handbook.
If you’d like to learn more about Genesis Programs Inc. Internship program or to schedule a Interview, call us today.
Call Now for a Free Assessment: (805) 650-3094